"I just know that if you want to write and don't because you don't feel wothy enough or able enough, NOT writing will eventually begin to erase who you are." Louise De Salvo, Writing As a Way of Healing







Thursday, March 29, 2012

Inspiring the Writing Hand

Like many writers, I glean inspiration from a variety of different places, sights and sounds.  However, I have found my greatest source of inspiration while I worship the Lord. 

A few weeks after I had started writing my first novel (consistently, that is), I experienced this God-breathed inspiration for the first time.  There I was, standing with my arms stretched out in praise, thanking the Lord for who He is and what He was doing in my life, and then bam!  I got a flash of the ending of my book - the epilogue.  Not just a fleeting thought, like "oops, I forgot to put the clothes in the dryer," but a mental image of an entire scene.  It played out like a movie in my mind, along with the emotions of the moment stirring in my soul.  I was so taken aback that I literally stopped mid song and put my hands down for a moment.  That scene became the driving force for my entire novel.  Look, I still get goosebumps every time I talk about it!

The second time I was a little more prepared.  Again, I was worshipping on a Sunday morning, and I saw a glimpse of a character.  I had barely given this kid a name yet and now, instantly, he had a personality, a history and a destiny.

It shouldn't have surprised me (or continue to), after all, we are closest to our Heavenly Father when we spend time worshipping Him.  And, as we draw near to Him, He directs our steps, our will and, yes, our stories. 

I wish it happened every time I worship or pray - I'd have no need of those intense character sketches and plot point outlines.  But I have learned, the more I commit to Him, the more He inspires my writing hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment